Do you find it hard to concentrate in a disorganized environment? According to Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic of the recently published book Storytelling with data: a data visualization guide for business professionals, 75% of people have a hard time focusing in a cluttered environment and that number increases to 87% when it comes to visualizing data.
What does this mean? A messy dashboard with many colors and charts can seriously affect how your audience interprets the message you are trying to convey.
Prioritizing a clutter-free dashboard for your data visualizations can increase understanding and allow your audience to focus on the information at hand.
However, decluttering a dashboard can be difficult if you don't know where to start. That is why Cole has put together a short video to share her five tips and tricks on how you can keep your data visualizations clutter-free.
Check out the video to start:
- Understanding how people conceptualize data visualizations.
- Employing visual order and why it is important.
- Creating clear contrast to help direct your audience's eye.
- Avoiding the risk of overcomplicating things.
- Learning how to strip down the clutter and "build up" to tell a story to your audience.
This video was originally posted on Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic's popular blog www.storytellingwithdata.com.